Executive Assistant to the Founder & Director
Future of StoryTelling (FoST) is looking for an ambitious, sharp, and eager new graduate with a hankering to join a fast-paced, innovative, and rapidly-growing boutique firm. The Executive Assistant works directly for the Founder & Director of FoST as his right-hander and cultural attaché. Expect invaluable exposure to the latest trends in new media and cutting edge storytelling, and help support a network of visionary producers and storytellers, world-class brands, and recognized authors.
THE CANDIDATE WILL BE EXPECTED TO:
- Manage the Director’s daily schedule, coordinate meetings and appointments, book domestic and international travel, and oversee day-to-day office operations;
- Interface with senior-level staff and high profile clients;
- Develop a friendly and social rapport with speakers, sponsors, freelancers, vendors, and other clientele;
- Write weekly posts for the FoST blog and populate company social media channels;
- Stay abreast of the burgeoning global conference & festival landscape;
- Research industry trends, market reports, and potential areas of business development, and contribute findings and insights to company-wide meetings; and
- Exhibit a strong proficiency in phone etiquette and email communication.
THE CANDIDATE SHOULD ALSO DEMONSTRATE:
- An enthusiasm for current trends in technology and next-generation storytelling;
- A genuine interest in bloggers, influencers, authors, websites, print publications and other media outlets that dabble in topics related to the future of storytelling;
- Excellent editorial skills, including strong grammar, copy-editing, proof-reading, writing, and communication expertise; and
- Outstanding organizational skills, a can-do attitude, and the ability to stay cool under pressure.
Strong communication skills are a must. Please be sure to send a cover letter along with your résumé to email@example.com.
Marketing and Communications Manager
The Marketing and Communications Manager will work closely with the CRO and Future of StoryTelling (FoST) senior leadership to assist in implementing and leading all efforts pertaining to visibility, strategy, vision, and execution associated with the development of the community and the elevation of the FoST brand. You will increase brand awareness and drive community engagement by cultivating an active, welcoming, and best-in-class experience for current and prospective members with the ultimate goal of strengthening their connection to FoST and increasing their likelihood of participating, supporting, and sharing. This will include growing and managing social media channels, executing email/direct mail marketing initiatives, developing brand campaigns, and supporting all efforts with paid media where applicable. In addition, you will focus on driving our communications strategy, media relations, press inquiries, and broadcast appearances. You will craft messages and narratives, secure successful interactions with press, and altogether raise the company profile. This is an exciting opportunity to help establish the official “FoST voice” across platforms, create fresh and engaging content, and help broaden FoST’s audience and media presence. Responsibilities will include:
- Leading community initiatives designed to create connections among members, amplify member engagement, and drive overall audience;
- Understanding the FoST audience, community, and various stakeholders as well as broader industry trends to help identify and prioritize audience needs;
- Developing and executing social media strategies to engage the FoST audience on key topics that align with FoST services to achieve marketing goals;
- Building a monthly communications plan that is orchestrated across channels and supports key priorities;
- Helping to publicize FoST speaker films and place them with appropriate media outlets;
- Creating a communications strategy that specifically drives attendees to the FoST Summit and other events;
- Managing day-to-day activities for communication channels; publishing content and engaging with influencers and followers;
- Monitoring progress and effectiveness of marketing campaigns, community growth, and engagement through measurable metrics;
- Conducting ongoing analysis and reviews of competitors, influencers, audience, and trends to inform overall marketing strategies;
- Collaborating with internal teams to develop a strategic messaging calendar, incorporating tent poles, roll-outs, and content strategy;
- Managing and directing all aspects of corporate communications and press inquiries;
- Being responsible for arranging media interviews (print, video, broadcast, and online) with executives and managing preparation and research, as well as conducting any necessary follow-up;
- Leveraging superior networking abilities to make sure FoST always has a seat at the right tables;
- Monitoring high-visibility and business-building awards programs and managing company entries if applicable;
- Handling crisis communications and managing issues, if required; and
- Reviewing website regularly to ensure all content is on message and current.
You should aspire to be a leader in the company’s marketing and communications efforts; be able to think quickly on your feet; be interested in live events; be interested in and enthusiastic about new forms of storytelling, including VR/AR/MR, immersive theater, interactive gaming, etc.; feel comfortable in a highly collaborative, team-oriented culture; have 5+ years of experience with marketing and communications strategy and execution; have a sophisticated grasp of the evolving media and communications landscape; have exceptional writing skills and the ability to generate impactful content; have the ability to manage timelines and collaborate effectively to execute campaigns on time; and come with a thorough understanding of and experience using social media for professional marketing/communications purposes, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media platforms.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Future of StoryTelling (FoST), the most innovative thought-leadership summit for media professionals, is looking for a seasoned event producer to oversee all aspects of event and production planning for their 500-person Summit in New York this October. FoST has established a noteworthy reputation for inverting the traditional conference model by eliminating broadcast-style “talks” and introducing a unique format that’s geared toward conversation, participation, and interactivity. The Event Producer will work closely with FoST’s curatorial team to deliver the unique attendee experience and meticulous attention to detail that FoST is known for. Specifically, he or she will be responsible for managing transportation, F&B, facility operations, vendor relations, and other logistics to ensure flawless production execution. The ability to think creatively about new kinds of event formats and contribute ideas to creative experience design is encouraged. Confidence in negotiating and an instinct for competitive pricing are essential. This person should have a demonstratively strong network of event vendors, freelancers, and production assistants, and the competence to scale staffing and build teams as the event dates approaches.
For this year’s fifth-annual event (October 5–9), FoST is expanding its program to also include the FoST FEST—the world’s first immersive storytelling festival. The focus of FoST FEST will be on the changing nature of the audience and the transformation of the passive viewer into the active participant. The Event Producer will also be working side by side with the festival team to make sure that both events work seamlessly together.
- Experience producing live events, festivals, and/or conferences.
- Leadership skills and ability to manage teams of 25–30 people.
- Quick problem-solving and decision-making instincts and the ability to work and thrive under pressure.
- Ability to negotiate pricing, secure licenses, and execute contracts and agreements.
- Strong communicator with the ability to liaise between technical crews and creative teams.
- Understanding of relevant safety laws and procedures.
- Ability to prepare production schedule, set clear milestones and deliverables, and effectively delegate to team members.
- An instinct for thinking “big picture” while simultaneously maintaining a meticulous attention to detail.
- Willingness to contribute to creative brainstorms and content discussions.
- Work directly with SVP of Business Development to understand all production requirements for sponsorship activations.
- Work directly with curatorial team to understand all production requirements for speaker sessions.
- Work directly with main stage performers and technical team to ensure all requirements are met for main stage programming.
- Expertise with new media and technologies, and a knack for technical troubleshooting for exhibition production.
- Coordination of technical services for the event, inclusive of audiovisual needs for breakout sessions and facility operations.
- Work in tandem with the Senior Producer of the Future of StoryTelling Festival, which will be produced the same week of the FoST Summit, which will include but is not limited to managing schedules, deadlines and staffing together, working with the same vendors and partners, and planning joint support events leading up to both the Summit and Festival.
EMPLOYMENT DURATION OPTIONS
- Full-Time Contract Position from May 15–October 21 (2 weeks of wrap-up).
- Successful candidates will be invited to join the FoST team full time.
If your interest is piqued, please send your resume and a cover letter explaining why you think this job is a good fit for you to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Future of StoryTelling (FoST), the premier thought-leadership conference for media influencers, pioneering technologists, and communications executives, is looking for a Content Curator to program panels, speakers, workshops, performances, immersive experiences, and the best examples of new forms of storytelling for events and exhibitions throughout the year. The Content Curator will also oversee the FoST for Good program, where we unite the best storytellers in the world with the organizations that are tackling some of the most pressing challenges of our time.
This is an unparalleled opportunity to influence the art, business, and practice of communications across a range of disciplines. The Content Curator will play an integral role in upholding FoST’s celebrated reputation for championing the projects, people, trends, and ideas that are defining storytelling in the digital age. This candidate should also bring a fresh point of view to FoST’s online communications, by working with writers to populate the blog and social media channels. A refined eye and a passion for what’s innovative in advertising, film, television, publishing, theater, the arts, consumer electronics, and advanced technologies are essential for this role. Exceptional interpersonal skills, the ability to liaise with high-profile talent, and a well-spoken expertise in industry trends are key.
- Sophisticated sensibility for the most significant trends at the intersection of storytelling and technology.
- Strong instincts about what would be insightful, informative, and/or inspirational to FoST attendees and online readers.
- Ability to identify up-and-coming and undiscovered talent and projects that are aligned with FoST’s curatorial focus–those leading the way in AR, AI, VR, wearables, IoT, new interfaces, and beyond.
- Ability to work with talent to refine their speaking topics, help them to articulate their ideas, and ensure that they understand what’s valuable and relevant to the FoST audience.
- Avid reader of publications that cover consumer technology, creative technology, digital culture, future trends, innovation, new media, and thought leadership.
- Ability to work with a team of writers and provide editorial insight to improve web content and boost FoST’s online presence.
If your interest is piqued, please send your resume and a cover letter explaining why you think this job is a good fit for you to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Editor, Illustrated Books
Do you love editing, writing, and leading creative teams on cutting-edge projects for some of the world’s biggest brands and personalities? Do you enjoy crafting innovative ideas and seeing them through to award-winning finished products? Do you love the art of bookmaking, but are as equally excited about being exposed to other media, such as apps, events, films, and websites? Do you have a good attitude? Are you a kick-ass editor/producer who thrives with a lot plates spinning, doesn’t drop any, and stays calm and collected under pressure? Are you looking to join a fun team of storytelling ninjas who are looking to change the world?
If you answered yes to these questions, we want to hear from you. We are Melcher Media, a leading producer of award-winning books and content. For 25 years, we have been at the forefront of storytelling, publishing 28 New York Times best sellers, winning Apple’s award for best designed app of the year, and garnering numerous industry accolades for our print and digital titles. We’re known for developing the best and most innovative illustrated books in the industry, for some of the biggest names and most cutting-edge companies—from Al Gore, Oprah Winfrey, and J. J. Abrams to Lexus, Microsoft, Facebook, and Nike, among many others. We also produce the annual Future of StoryTelling Summit (fost.org), an exclusive, by-invitation-only gathering devoted to exploring the evolution of storytelling in the digital age.
Basically, we do some really cool stuff, and we’re looking for an exceptionally bright and talented person to join our team and become a one-person publishing powerhouse, if they aren’t one already. Successful candidates will:
- Have a college degree and 5 to 10 years of experience in book publishing, ideally making illustrated books (some experience developing business books is a definite plus).
- Take a leadership role on many different kinds of book projects, from conceptualization to hiring, managing, and budgeting until final, on-time delivery.
- Edit content, which may range from captions to full manuscripts to project proposals.
- Use your strong visual sensibility to select and direct the creation of images, oversee designers, and conceptualize innovative formats.
- Work directly with new and existing clients to conceive, create, and deliver book projects, keeping them apprised of progress and ensuring that they are appropriately involved and happy with the creative process, and proud of the final results.
- Be adept at hiring and managing creative teams of writers, editors, designers, etc.
- Possess a meticulous attention to detail, including a firm grasp of English grammar and familiarity with Chicago Style.
- Be interested in being exposed to other kinds of non-book projects, such as apps, events, films, and websites.
- Possess a unique creative perspective, boundless curiosity, lots of energy, and enthusiasm—and use it all to contribute to our small team’s culture of innovation and entrepreneurship.
If your interest is piqued, please send your resume and a cover letter explaining why you think this job is a good fit for you to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
INTERNS—EDITORIAL, EVENTS, DESIGN, PUBLISHING, SOCIAL MEDIA (PAID)
Melcher Media and the Future of StoryTelling (FoST) are looking for bright, talented, and enthusiastic interns who want to learn about the publishing industry, creative storytelling, and the annual FoST summit. This paid, temporary internship (3–12 months) provides an opportunity to work on the cutting edge of multiplatform storytelling with leading global brands. The experience is primarily designed to expose successful candidates to all facets of both companies, providing the opportunity to explore an editorial or design track (or both!), event production, social media, business development, and more, in an effort to acquire and hone new skills while deciding on the direction of your career.
Interns will be exposed to some or all of the following:
- Working with editors and producers to provide general editorial support on app, book, video, website, and other multimedia projects;
- Working with producers to assist with social media outreach and strategy;
- Working with editors and producers to design apps, books and other print collateral, information graphics, and websites;
- Working with producers to research and help organize the FoST summit;
- Working with senior staff to brainstorm and pitch new business opportunities; and
- Working directly with senior staff members to provide general administrative assistance.
- An interest in digital and social media, storytelling, the editorial process, art, photography, design, and producing the FoST summit;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience;
- A strong work ethic and the desire to learn; and
- Familiarity with InDesign, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, and HTML is a definite plus.
ABOUT MELCHER MEDIA AND THE FUTURE OF STORYTELLING: Melcher Media is a cutting-edge, multimedia content shop with a reputation for thinking beyond fixed, traditional media categories. For twenty years, we’ve been at the forefront of storytelling, producing books, apps, films, websites, and more, winning multiple design and editorial awards while publishing twenty-four New York Times best sellers. Our focus boils down to one sole goal, regardless of medium, platform, or format: storytelling. Our clients and partners include some of the world’s biggest brands, such as Facebook, Adobe, Time Warner, GE, Lexus, and Nike, among others. We also produce the Future of StoryTelling, an annual gathering of top leaders from the worlds of media, technology, and communications.
TO APPLY: Send résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Strong communication skills are essential for this internship. Please make sure your cover letter expresses clearly why you are interested in interning with us.