Acquisitions Editor (Illustrated Books)
ABOUT MELCHER MEDIA
Founded in 1993, Melcher Media works with leading brands (Lexus, Facebook, PepsiCo, and Microsoft), media companies (Netflix, HBO, Condé Nast, and NBCUniversal), and individual authors (Oprah Winfrey, Garth Brooks, J.J. Abrams, and Lin-Manuel Miranda) to help them tell their stories via innovative, tactile, and impeccably produced illustrated books. Our decades of experience have propelled 31 of our titles onto the New York Times best seller list, accumulated sales of over 143 million copies, and garnered numerous industry design awards. As Melcher Media expands into the digital arena, our projects have evolved beyond the printed page, through websites, e-books, apps, and other forms of multimedia expression. Our employees are seasoned creative professionals who find inventive ways to connect big ideas with even bigger audiences.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
We are seeking a full-time Acquisitions Editor to join our team and help build our list of innovative, high-quality illustrated books. The ideal candidate will:
- Have a college degree and 5 to 10 years of experience in book acquisitions, ideally acquiring/developing illustrated books (some experience developing custom-published books is a definite plus).
- Have a demonstrated knowledge of and excitement for the categories of books that Melcher Media publishes.
- Research potential publication ideas, including new cultural trends.
- Use their strong editorial vision and networking skills to acquire approximately 8–10 new projects per year.
- Maintain a strong professional network of authors, agents, publishers, and other potential clients, and help foster and grow relationships with Melcher Media’s existing clients.
- Be able to develop and write thoroughly researched and compelling book proposals for sales to our publishing partners.
- Have incredible organizational and project management skills and be able to track a variety of tasks and deliverables.
- Thrive while working in a self-directed manner, while also collaborating with our senior management and editorial teams.
- Have impeccable editorial judgment, excellent developmental editing skills, and boundless curiosity and enthusiasm—and use it all to contribute to our culture of innovation and entrepreneurship.
If your interest is piqued, please send your resume and a cover letter explaining why you think this job is a good fit for you to email@example.com.
Interns (Design / Editorial / Film)
Melcher Media and the Future of StoryTelling (FoST) are looking for bright, talented, and enthusiastic interns who want to learn about the publishing industry, creative storytelling, and the future of digital media. This paid, temporary internship (3–12 months) provides an opportunity to work on the cutting edge of multiplatform storytelling with leading global brands. The experience is primarily designed to expose successful candidates to all facets of both companies, providing the opportunity to explore an editorial or design track (or both!), film editing, event production, social media, business development, and more, in an effort to acquire and hone new skills while deciding on the direction of your career. Interns will be exposed to some or all of the following:
- Working with editors and producers to provide general editorial support on the book, film, website, podcast, and other multimedia projects;
- working with producers to assist with social media outreach and strategy;
- working with editors and producers to design apps, books, and other print collateral, information graphics, and websites;
- working with producers to research and help organize the FoST’s digital programming and events;
- working with senior staff to brainstorm and pitch new business opportunities;
- and working directly with senior staff members to provide general administrative assistance.
- An interest in digital and social media, storytelling, the editorial process, art, photography, and graphic design;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience; a strong work ethic and the desire to learn;
- and strong familiarity with InDesign, Photoshop, Adobe Premiere Pro, and/or Final Cut Pro.
Knowledge of HTML is a definite plus. We are also open to considering an editorial assistant and/or a junior graphic designer positions for applicants who have 1-3 years’ prior experience. New York City applicants preferred, although open to candidates working remotely from home for the first 3-6 months.
Send résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Strong communication skills are essential for this internship. Please make sure your cover letter expresses clearly why you are interested in interning with us.